Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Few Of My Favorite Things

We have had the craziest weather week here.  Most of this week it was in the high 70's....almost summer-like, and very humid!  Ummmm....no thank you!!  It is December people!  I am so jealous of everyone's snow pictures across the country, because here in the south, we have been in short sleeves most of the week and my classroom at school was blazing hot.

We are still keeping our Christmas spirit up though.  I saw this on Instagram this week and loved it.


That's what Christmas is all about anyway and it kind of makes the weather seem silly and insignificant, right?And, thankfully, our weather roller coaster took a downhill slide this weekend, so it feels Christmas-y again!

Did any of you watch The Sound Of Music Live this week with Carrie Underwood?  The little girls in my class were so excited about it.  One of my little girls even wore her hair in braids on top of her head like Maria to school the next day!  I think Carrie Underwood is an amazing singer, but I just wasn't that crazy about her acting.  And who can beat the original movie with Julie Andrews?  My kids have been singing My Favorite Things all week and it has stuck in my head, so I thought today I would share a few of my favorite Christmas things!

One of the things I love most about Christmas time is watching all my favorite movies that I really only watch once a year.  My very favorite Christmas movie of all is It's A Wonderful Life.  I never get tired of that one.  But there are lots more that I love almost as much!  We have already watched Elf on the day after Thanksgiving and it has to be my favorite that has come out in recent years.


I can't wait to make some hot chocolate and get my pajamas on and watch all of these over the next few weeks!  Which ones are your favorites?

Another one of my favorite things right now is this candle...


Mmmm...this smells just like Christmas to me!

And this is the SWEETEST commercial I've seen on TV lately.  It reminds me of when our kids were little and I just love it.



I love red Starbucks cups...


Extra time to spend with my kids just hanging out, playing games, watching football, drinking hot chocolate...


Time to spend loving on these two angels (and the fun of shopping for toys again!)...



Sending and receiving Christmas cards...  

What do you notice about this card, by the way???


A few weeks ago, I spent a long time working on our Christmas cards, so I was so excited when we got our Shutterfly box in the mail the other day.  Steve opened up the box and came upstairs to show me how the cards turned out.  I looked at it for a minute and said, "Oh yay!!  They look so good!"....and he just stood there holding the card up looking at me with a weird grin on his face.  And then....I saw it.  I put TWO S'es on the end of Maddoxes!!  What???!!!  Oh well.  If you get a Christmas card from me this year, it will have a little sharpy marker black cover up where I marked out the second "s".  I just had to laugh.  There was no way I was re-ordering all those cards again!!

I also love doing fun things like making Christmas cookies and decorating them.  Lindy babysat my two little nieces yesterday and they made cookies together.



That is way more fun when you have excited little girls to do it with!

And one of my all time favorite things about Christmas is the music!  I love everything from Nat King Cole to Charlie Brown to Amy Grant.  But I have to say that one of my very favorites at Christmas is Steven Curtis Chapman.  We are about the same age, so I have listened to him and seen him in concert many times throughout my life and when I hear him sing, it all sounds so familiar and relatable.  His life mirrors mine in lots of ways.   I still love his first Christmas album from back when his hair looked really crazy...



Christmas Is All In The Heart always makes me a little teary whenever I hear it because it is so much like Steve's and my life together!

And I love this one too...


Christmas In Kentucky is such a sweet song.  

Some others that are on my Christmas iTunes rotation lately include these:

Mistletoe by Colbie Caillat, Christmas In The City by Matt Wertz, Cold December Night by Michael Buble, and Christmas Tonight by Dave Barnes.  Really good stuff!! 


So...that is kind of what I am into at this time of year.  What are your favorite holiday things?

1 comment:

Allison said...

So my first thought about the card was that you left off your oldest daughters name?